Wiki Wiki Web
is an "open-editing" system where the emphasis is on the authoring and collaboration of documents rather than the simple browsing or viewing of them. The basic concept of a Wiki Wiki Web
(or "wiki") is that (almost) anyone can edit any page. While at first this sounds like a recipe for complete anarchy, the truth is that sites using this system have developed surprisingly complex and rich communities for online collaboration and communication. Yes, it's possible for someone to go and destroy everything on a page, but it doesn't seem to happen often. And, many systems (including this one) have built-in mechanisms to restore content that has been defaced or destroyed.
The point of the system is to simply make it as easy and rewarding as possible to create or edit online content. Using any standard Web browser, a person can edit (almost) any page on the system using relatively simple Text Formatting Rules
. Creating a link to a new or existing page simply involves entering a Wiki Word
--a word consisting of several capitalized words joined together--to reference and serve as a title for the target page.
It's not even necessary to learn the Text Formatting Rules
; others will often come in and reformat things for you. After all, anyone can edit! You
can see some of the Recent Changes
that others have posted to this site.
To learn more about adding pages to this Wiki site, see our Tips For Editing
, then try editing pages in the Wiki Sandbox
If you want to learn more about the Wiki Wiki Web
concept, try some of these Web sites:
- Wiki:WikiWikiWeb -- The original Wiki Wiki Web
- Meatball:WhyWikiWorks -- how and why Wiki works
- Meatball:SoftSecurity -- how open editing can result in good Web sites
- Wiki [http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/community/CategoryWiki] on CommunityWiki [http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/community/SiteMap]
- WikiFeatures [http://wikifeatures.wiki.taoriver.net/moin.cgi/FrontPage] -- for info on features in wikis and how to use them
- Wikipedia:Why_Wikipedia_is_so_great -- how and why the biggest wiki in the world made a comprehensive free-content encyclopedia
Or, send email to Patrick Michaud at .